There are surely a gazillion recipes for beans and rice on line, but that won't stop me from posting yet another one. I made this last week with Adzuki beans that I cooked myself using my pressure cooker, and found that the finished product was so much more delicious than making the same recipe with the more classic red kidney beans.
- About 1 to 1.5 cups cooked adzuki beans, drained (canned is fine, I am sure)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 dried whole red chili, crushed
- About 1 tbsp each ground cumin and ginger
- About 1 tsp each ground coriander and tumeric
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1.5 cups cooked white rice
In a cast iron skillet, sautee the garlic and onion in a generous amount of olive oil over very low heat until translucent. Add the spices and stir until onions and garlic are coated. Add the beans and cook for a while to marry the flavors, adding water a little bit at a time as necessary to keep the beans from sticking to the pan. Add the cooked rice and blend well.
Serve hot garnished with fresh chopped cilantro and a dollop of creme fraiche.